The Carousel Cloud Player Application for Apple TV brings Carousel Cloud to any 4th generation Apple TV or Apple TV 4K. To get started, install the Carousel Cloud Player app from App Store, https://apps.apple.com/us/app/carousel-cloud-player/id1445565555. Once installed, launch the Carousel Cloud Player app to display Carousel Digital Signage on the Apple TV.
In order to use the Carousel Cloud Player App for Apple TV, you must already have a Carousel Cloud Account and tvOS 10.2+ is required. Enterprise deployment with Jamf's device management system, requires Jamf Pro 10.0+.
Once installed you will need to configure the App in order to point it at your Carousel Server. Configuration is covered in the next section.
When you launch the Carousel Cloud Player application, it will prompt you to enter your Carousel Cloud URL. Simply enter it in and select continue:
Then, either scan the QR code or browse to the URL on the screen to log in to Carousel and enter in the registration code to connect the Carousel player to your Cloud Account. Once registered, the player will begin to show your initial channel and will be available in your player dashboard to manage it's settings:
The Carousel Cloud Player app also has a configuration section in the Apple TVs Settings app, but under normal usage, you shouldn’t have to touch these settings. To view and edit settings, launch the Settings app and navigate to Apps, then Carousel Cloud Player. The configuration options are described in the list below.
- URL - Your Carousel Cloud URL. For example https://yourcloudURL.carouselsignage.net
- Reset Settings - Selecting this will prompt for a Cloud URL the next time the app is launched
- Reset Cache - When set to On the Carousel Player will clear it's content cache and download all content from the server when next run. This can be useful for troubleshooting.
- Version - Displays the version info. This information should be provided to Tightrope Media Systems when opening support requests.
Due to platform restrictions not all Carousel features are available on the Apple TV. Below is a list of unsupported features.
- Portrait Channels - Only landscape channels are supported.
- Bulletin Transitions - AppleTV's bulletin transition support is limited to crossfade
- Make sure the Carousel Cloud URL is entered correctly in the app configuration in Jamf or in the settings app
- Watch for any error messages when launching the Carousel Cloud Player app
- Double tap the multifunction button on the remote and swipe up to exit the Carousel Cloud Player app
- Make sure you are using the most recent version of the Carousel Cloud Player app
- Reset the cache from the settings app
- Delete and re-install the Carousel Cloud Player app (if downloaded from the App Store)
For information on video specifications required for video bulletins, video blocks, and live video bulletins please see:
Using DEP (Device Enrollment Program) and MDM (Mobile Device Management) with a MDM provider such as Jamf (https://www.jamf.com/), transforms an Apple TV with Carousel Player into a first class Digital Signage Device, with an unequaled zero-touch deployment.
Carousel Player running on a managed tvOS device will read two settings from MDM configuration to make large scale deployment easier.
- Server - This is your Carousel Cloud URL. This will override the URL field discussed earlier in the Configuration section of this document. Use this managed config option to easily point all managed players at the correct Carousel server. This value will override the value from the Settings app after launching the Carousel Player app and you should no longer edit it in there.
- UDID - A unique device identifier. Use $UDID specifically when using jamf as a MDM provider. The UDID allows the Carousel Server to associate channel configuration information for the player after a factory reset of the player.
If the UDID is not the same after a factory reset of the Apple TV the Carousel Player application will not maintain it's channel settings and will consume a new channel license.